Wednesday, November 5, 2008

We're out of Onions! and other Shocking News...zzzzap!

So, remember those mountains of onions you browsed through the last time you went to the grocery store. You know, the vidalia, the yellow, the red, the sweet, the white, and the list goes on. 5 lb bags or 2 lb bags, so much variety, and all so super yummy..

Well folks...We're out of Onions! NO, not my house....the entire island state of Yap is out of onions. All of the stores have none left, even the little stores have been wiped clean. See, those type of onions don't grow here, only green onions, so they have to be imported. The thing is, when things run out...they just run out. So now, the state of Yap is Onionless...sad... that is, untill the next cargo ship arrives loaded down with onions, beer, ramen, and spam. I can see why the island for so long was so dependent on growing and eating local foods. I'm perfectly fine with no onions, but it's such an interesting concept... things like that help bring to my attention the true isolation of this remote island in the Pacific.

In other news.... the SHOCKING news...literally. Electricity here is bonkos! My laptop is no longer functional because the power cord has somehow fried... which caused a slight panic attack the day it happened as I sat there pressing the power button over and over with no result "But...but....but.....what? I mean... how am I gonna keep in touch with home? How am I gonna write..how am I gonna call steve....ahhhhhh....." (teardrop teardrop) Luckily I got over the ridiculousness and came back to my happy realization that I'm in YAP...of course things are going to happen that I don't expect, and I can live without until I figure out how to get another cord shipped out here. (It's harder than you would think because no electronic companies will ship to P.O. boxes... and that is the ONLY option here..so I've got some figuring out to do)
And I'm not the only one, a bunch of other current volunteers...almost all...have had to replace their power cords at least once.

It's gotta be something with the electricity here, it's different somehow than from the U.S. TWICE I've shocked the heck out of myself...also known as electricuted myself... and both times were bizarre and unexpected. Both times I was just going to plug something in, and my hand was barely near the socket when... ZZZZZZZZZAP a jolt of electricity went running through my hand and arm. My hands weren't wet... I wasn't feeling the socket... I was just going to plug something in. If nothing else it wakes me up in the morning...that's for sure! So, me and my electronics...the few that I brought, are going to have to be much more careful from now on.

The Yap Zap is no fun :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the plugs aren't properly grounded, that would explain the shortages as well. I think you might want to get a surge protector if you can, that might help. Hope you don't get zapped again!

Anonymous said...

Dear VERINA The island power comes from diesel generators which are hard to control for eaven power output. You should always have a surge-protector-bar to plug your powercord into. The little transformer on your powercord transforms 110 volts in to 12 volts which your computer runns on. these little transformers don't like power-surges . As far as getting shocked BE CAREFULL most likely the outlet you are plugging into have bad grounding or no neutral. So the electricety will chouse a different path like through you into the damp ground becouse you are waring damp sandals or whett shoes. So always be careful and stay dry around electricety. Take care love DAD

Anastácio Soberbo said...

Hello, I like the blog.
It is beautiful.
Sorry not write more, but my English is bad writing.
A hug from Portugal

Anonymous said...

Hi verina
I enjoy your Blog update, no dull moments with "yap zaps" and all sorts of other experiences what stories you will have to share!! love Mary

Unknown said...

Baby [electricuted] you need to come back to me.I will get you rubber cloves. Do you need a powercord? Love the pis awesome!! {:

Unknown said...

Sorry gloves baby. and pics not pis hehe.

Anonymous said...

Verina, SO exciting to hear your adventures. SOunds like you are having a very cool time. How many kids will you be teaching? Have lots of fruit for us.....
Don't worry ringworm is easily treated with anti-fungal.
Love ya, Caryn and everyone in Az.

Verina said...

Thanks everyone! I'll certainly be more careful. and Thanks for all reading :)

Jeremy: Yup I think you're right... I got your postcard, thanks!

Dad and Mary: Thanks for the support and always sound advice.

Anastacio: I'm happy you enjoy it, thanks for reading!

Steve: Please send a surge protector, no worries I won't electricute myself anymore. Love you!

Caryn: I'll definately have lots of fruit for you. I teach 17 8th graders and 13 7th graders in a school of about 90 students. (Please send me your mailing address)