Thursday, November 13, 2008

Training is complete... the language test is finished... woah.. now only the Dance left! Crazy how fast time passes when you're attempting to learn a new language and culture and stay sane while living half a world away from home.

Now let's talk a bit about Yapese and my ability? to speak Yapese. You see, I really do know quite a bit, but using it is another story. I'll give you a typical example. So, I'm sitting at home outside and the mosquitos are starting to come out. I want to light a mosquito coil but I don't have a lighter. Wait... I know how to say this. I'll ask for the lighter in Yapese.

And then this is what happens in my head "ok... so the verb for 'to have' is what... but it's a question...so maybe it's different... It's present tense so it's Gu be.... but I'm asking for theirs so i have to say rom after lighter... but wait isn't a question different.. i don't think...wait isn't p' the word for have or is that give?.... ummm.... ahhh...should I just go get my own lighter from my roomm... oh no they're walking away"

Nina, Ga be p' e lighter rom?........and then she looks at me like I'm crazy and laughs...
I mean, I try again "Ba e lighter rom?" ... oh yeah that's right

"Danga" she replies which means no.... so I've just spent ten minutes of contemplation on one phrase... a phrase which I'm using a borrowed word too and it still is difficult. Hopefully I learn to be less concerned and just start blurting out Yapese phrases and let them correct me later. Obviously I've got a lot of work to do. I think I'm going to search for a tutor soon.

I've added a book list to the blog (bottom right) so I can keep track and share some of what I'm reading while I'm here. If you see anything you're interested in send me a note and I can share more. I've been lucky so far in having read all books that I found both interesting and well written. My latest book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" strikes close to heart now since I'm experiencing first hand the challenges and benefits of living off local, but I'll save that for another time.

much love,
V

No comments: