Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Reflections

In the spirit of Thanksgiving (which they obviously don't celebrate here), I thought I would write a list of some of the many things that I'm thankful for.... So here goes

I'm thankful for the children laughing and singing outside of this room right now

I'm thankful for my Dad, Mary, Sabina, and the rest of my family that have been so supportive during this journey.

I'm thankful that I have a wonderful man in my life, who loves me and cares for me so much despite the fact that I decided to follow a life goal and move half a world away.

I'm thankful that I've been given the opportunity to have another family right here on my little island, who care for me, watch out for me, feed me, shelter me, and rub tumeric all over me :)

I'm thankful for the Parrot fish, angel fish, snapper, lobster, tuna.... and the list goes on.... that I get to enjoy as a regular staple in my diet here.

I'm thankful that I get to live in a place where I am learning how to live off the land for the basic necessities.

I'm thankful that there are no longer 8 cases of budweiser in my classroom... and there is a pencil sharpener

I'm thankful that despite my isolated location, the wonders of the internet have given me the opportunity to share stories and exchange email with the people I love back home

I'm thankful that Kimmy B's suggestion of rubbing Oil of Oregano on my plague of ringworms... even though it burns like hell.... seems to be working better than all the other stuff combined.

I'm thankful for all the kids and adults throughout Gagil that pop out of places like trees, behind bushes, and near the waters edge to shout...."HeY V....Kefel" with smiles as I'm walking the 40 minute walk home after school.

I'm thankful that I was placed somewhere with such an amazing culture full of color and dance, and that I'm being given the opportunity to join the women of the village as they dance.

I'm thankful for my mom...my gaurdian angel, who I know is watching after me and keeping me from harm while I'm here.

I'm thankful for so very much here... including all of you who read this... Have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Eat twice as much...just for me :)

Love,
V

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO!
Dear Verina we are so proud of you and your achivements. We also are making a list of all our good fortune and all we are thankfull for its a long list but You are on top of that list. DAD