Thursday, November 20, 2008

Swear-In... I'm a volunteer!!!!

I'm officially a volunteer now, no more trainee, change the T to V because now I'm a PCV! The swear-in ceremony was an amazing event. The chiefs, principals, lt. governor, trainers, our families, and other community members all gathered to watch the event. I was nervous and excited all at once. First, we all introduced ourselves and talked about where we were from, where we would be working, and gave thanks to the community in YAPESE! Then there were speeches by the lt. governor and country director for Peace Corps, and finally we took the oath. The oath that we took to become volunteers is similar to the oath all government employees must take, and I must say while I said the words it really hit me. Wow! What a pledge! What an honor to be a part of this, and what a challenge. As I said this I had to hold back tears that came out of nowhere. This is really it, it's official, I did it!
Below is the official Peace Corps oath.
I, [state your name], do solemnly swear or affirm that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, domestic and foreign, that I take this obligation freely and without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge my duties in the Peace Corps by working with the people of [the host country] as partners in friendship and in peace.
To finish the ceremoney we performed our dance, ate, and performed it again. When we first said we wanted to perform a dance none of us had any idea how big a deal this was. We knew dance in Yap was important, but noone knew the extent. Every detail is important, the making of a dance involves ceremony, and before we could perform it chiefs had to present shell money, lava lavas, and betel nut as an offering to make the dance official. Then after finishing the dance, we had to do it again to "hang up" the dance, which means that noone else can do the dance without the approval of our trainer who wrote the dance. Bamboo dance is a type of warrior dance, it's fun, energetic, and really wears you out because to do it properly you spend the entire time with your knees bent to almost a squating position. Before starting my family brought me over and six hands began fixing me. My host mom rubbed a combination of tumeric and coconut oil all over my body which made me glow orange while my aunties tied young coconut leaves around my arms, wrists, and head while others fixed my nunu (leis). Then I was given a very special necklace made of whale teeth also covered in tumeric and oil, and a belt made of pretty black and white beads. I felt like a princess being fixed. Yes, I am part of this family, I'm their daughter, neice, sister, and friend and sitting there with all the hands fixing me made me so happy.
Ready for swear-in, before getting dressed with the dance decorations...
censored with extra leis for the picture
Enjoying the breeze, waiting to begin the dance
Chanting at the beginning of the dance
Dancing in the moment... bamboo dance is fun
I'm a volunteer! and Yapese Warrior Bamboo Dancer!!
The New Micro 75s and our Program Assistant, minus our 1 outer island volunteer
Loving the way my family decorated me

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congragalations Baby Beautifal and amazing the real deal!! lots of love and good luck! Your MOM would be proud. ;)

Anonymous said...

Aw thats amazing! I love the skirts and leis!..I'm not so sure I would be ok with the whole topless thing though lol :) well congrats on being an offical volunteer!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful !!!

Good Eater said...

Verina! This is my first visit to your blog and first I've heard about your newest adventure. I am so excited for you, what an enlightening, amazing thing you are doing! I will be happily anticipating each of your updates. Give the natives my love. Peace, Natalie Mitchell

Anonymous said...

Dearest Verina;
So proud of you. You look great in all that color. Am so glad that your host famely have adopted you and are taking care of you so well. Give them my thanks. I can hardly wait to be there with you and to meet those lovely people
Love and miss you. Take care DAD

Anonymous said...

Congrats Darlin!!!!

It was so nice to talk to you on the phone finally! The pictures are amazing, and you look GREAT!!! Congrats again!!! Much Love Kimmy-b

Anonymous said...

Dear Verina
The picture you posted on this blog on the right hand side as your primary picture is to big and shows you cut in half so see if you can re post the same smaller so we can see all of you
considering its snowing here 37 cm so far in the last 3 days I wish I was there! love DAD

Unknown said...

Very cool. Ya'll look pretty awesome!!

Anonymous said...

oh verina you look amazing! i have soo much to say to you but will hopefully have the time to sit down and write a real letter to you. i love you always and think about you often...rara