Monday, November 24, 2008

Budweiser, Ping Pong, and Butcher Knives...another day at school

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but there are certain things that I foolishly expected were somewhat constant throughout most schools worldwide. Especially U.S. public schools after the many school shootins, schools have adopted strict policies against weapons (even butter knives aren't allowed). Also, most schools are alcohol, drug, and tobacco free.

Imagine my surprise on the first day of teaching at my school when sitting on the teachers desk is a large butcher knife for pencil sharpening, and two of my students also had their own knives that they were using and playing with at their desks. Wow! Can you imagine a class full of eighth graders in the U.S. passing around the class butcher knife? Even sometimes picking it up and running around playing with it when the teacher isn't looking. Well, this is what I saw my first day. (P.S thank you George for the pencil sharpener, I'm bringing it tommorow!)

I also found it interesting that the student's desks are in rows facing a homemade ping pong table made with two teacher desks and plywood. I always thought the debate was teacher-centered or student-centered classrooms, what about ping pong centered? I don't know how to begin to address that this may not be the best learning environment.

Finally, to the Budweiser. In the corner of the classroom on one of the book shelves are EIGHT cases full of Budweiser cans. What?! I asked why they were there and I was told that they were probably left over from a carnival this weekend. Storing them in the classroom, Oh My!

And this, my friends, is why I'm here. I think I've got my work cut out for me. The knives are one thing, but maybe I can find someway to delicately suggest that Budweiser and Pingpong tables really should stay in bars and pool halls, and out of childrens classrooms.

Besides this, I really think I'm going to enjoy working at the school. There is a lot to be done. I'm basically totally fixing the library, which now sits locked and used as a storage space, with dusty old books that are absolutely not appropriate for a children's library. Today I'm pricing paint and possibly a rug and cleaning supplies, so that my principal can put in a request for some extra funds from the Educ. department. It will take a long time, but hopefully I can get it up and running, and make it a warm inviting place where children learn to go and love reading.

Teaching is another thing, most teachers here lack qualifications, formal training, and some even certification. Often, teachers fail to show up without leaving lesson plans, and even if they did, there is no substitute teacher plan here, so the students are either alone or another teacher has to fill in. (Guess who that will be now?...me) Teaching also comes straight from old grammar textbooks that are filled with ideas and concepts completely foreign to these students (ex. snow, escelators, squirrels...).

So, wish me luck everyone, I've certainly got a lot to work on, and hopefully I can make some positive change, even if right now it is completely overwhelming. My access to internet and mail is much more limited now that I'm in the village full time. Sadly, after recieving a new AC adaptor for my laptop, I found out that this wasn't the problem, it's just broke, so no internet at home for me. Also, the school's internet is very unpredictable and often the server goes down and I may not have internet for quite a while. I plan on going into town once a week to check the mail, send letters, check email, and do my errands (banking, shopping, etc.) So, if you write and don't hear from me in a while, no need to worry, I'm just in the village working my tail off at my new school...trying to get the beer, pingpong tables, and knives out of there, while adding good books, teaching skills, and smiles.

Much love to everyone, and thank you all for commenting on my swear in ceremony, I couldn't have made it this far without all the support. THANKS!!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow different it seems its five a clock somewhere and every where even in class at school time for AA NOT just P C V right. Now you are Super P C V..........S P C V!!!! Love you baby!!