Sunday, October 12, 2008

Life on the Canoe Paddle

There is a myth about how Yap got it's name. The myth goes that when one of the first white men came to the islands they were greeted by the native who came to their ship in their canoes. When the white men pointed to the island to ask what this place was called, the natives thought they were actually pointing at the canoe paddle, so they said "Yap" which mean canoe paddle, and from that point on Wa'ab became Yap. This is just a myth I'm told, but a fun one. In all actuality though, where I'm living is called Wa'ab by the locals and Colonia is called Donguch.

So life here is pretty great. I train every day in Donguch with language, cultural, and technical training. The language is really difficult, but I'm slowly starting to figure it out. This weekend was great because I really got to experience my village. First, Saturday we had a cleaning at the church. Each village in Gagil takes turns cleaning the church grounds, and it was our village this week. I GOT MY FIRST BASKET.. Very big deal here. You must have a basket when you walk through the village, or something in your hands or else you are up to no good. So, they wove me a basket from coconut palms for me to carry food and work. So I raked and hauled leaves with my basket all day long and met many people from Gagil.

Here is where things got a bit tricky. See, there are many rules of behavior here in Gagil.. cultural norms that they expect villagers to follow. Unfortunately for me... I'm having to learn as I go, so of course I'm messing them up left and right. Luckily they realize I'm new, so they are patient with me and I'll get it right the next time.

So... here are just a few examples of the do's and don'ts of village life.
1. (the one I learned the hard way) If people, especially men, are talking to you while they are sitting, you must sit down and talk with them. You can't stand while talking to them, it's rude, even if you are just stopping to say a few words, you must sit or kneel to get low to the ground with them.
2. Never walk over any person or their basket if it is on the ground near where you are walking, always walk around, no matter how inconvenient it is. If you must walk by a person sitting, bow down low and say "siro siro" (excuse me)
3. Try to Never walk between two or more people talking, even if they are on either side of a side walk, either walk around or if you have to walk between, once again duck low and say "siro" as you pass.
4. When walking through the village don't walk side by side, walk behind or in front of the person you are with as a sign of respect for the village, also don't be loud when going through the village.
5. For women in my village I can only walk on the main road in certain areas, in one spot there is a dirt path that all women must take around. Only men and children can walk on the main road at this part.
6. If a man is around, unless he is family, don't lay down...even if you are at the beach relaxing ...sit up... it isn't proper.
7. Alway have a basket or purse when you walk through the village... if you don't have anything in your hands break of a small branch and carry this, to show that you are walking with a purpose.
8. If someone offers you something, take it if you can, especially if they offer you betel nut. (I'll explain betel nut later, but it is a big thing around here)

So...of course I've broken about everyone of these rules at least once before being told that the rule actually existed... so it's hard, but I'm really trying to get it right now. And of course, these are only a very small portion of the actual rules that exist, but this is part of the challenge of learning to live and adapt to a different culture.

The rest of the weekend was amazing. I was invited to a beach barbeque party where I met the chief of the municipality and the chief of the village and some teachers at my school. Everyone seems really nice and I felt good to start meeting such high ranking people here. Sunday, we went to church... catholic church.. where I learned they don't use church pews here, we sit on the floor and kneel on the floor...tile floor... and it kills my knees.. But noone else seems to be bothered, so I guess I'll just have to suck it up and learn to do it. Then the rest of sunday I spent at the beach eating and drinking coconuts and swimming. I even went night swimming by the light of the full moon, very amazing. Unfortunately I also had 3 canadian dollars and some change taken from my wallet while I was swimming... strange thing for someone to steal... but I guess this is one of those things, that even if I'm living here I'm still new and American and some people might see me as being rich and easily taken advantage of, so I'll just have to be cautious.

No comments: