Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Staging Day 2: Grassroots Level U.S. Ambassador

Me Leaving Denver..... my pack all ready for 2 years

Day Two of staging has continued to be helpful and exciting. We began the day learning about how to deal with unwanted attention when we are in country. We watched a video and discussed things that may come up as we live and work in Micronesia. I am sure that as a white, blond, American with piercings and tattoos living in a small rural village on the other side of the world on an island, I will get some attention that I might not get in the U.S.. I think that the important thing for me to do is keep positive and make the best out of each situation. I want to keep an open mind and heart and deal well with things that come up.

Another topic that came up in staging was the fact that each of us will have the opportunity to be acting as Grassroot Level Ambassadors to the U.S. in some ways. (not officially of course) Wow! It is a lot to think that people may judge what they know of America based on their interactions with me. There are so many misconceptions about people's culture, and hopefully interactions with me in my community will be a way to start a dialogue about differences in culture. Hopefully I can show a side of the Americans that is caring, culturally sensitive, inquisitive, and thoughtful. Hopefully I will do America proud.

Later today we'll go over more details about our trip and preparing, then tommorow morning we board our flight to Hawaii. I can't believe this is the last night I'll be sleeping on the mainland of the U.S. From now on, Verina is an island girl... an island girl that hopes to make the Peace Corps, her friends and family, and America proud as I work and live in Micronesia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Verina:

The Peace Corps has had a steady stream of white, blond Americans living In Pohnpei for over 35years. And there are hundreds of expatriated Americans living and working there. Although this will be new to you, it is nothing new to the folks living there. You cannot drive through Kolonia town without seeing PCVs and other Americans, Aussies, and Japanese walking around. Unless they post you in the deepest parts of Kitti or Madolenihmw you experience in Pohnpei will be very comfortable and only mildly exotic.

Verina said...

We will only be in Kolonia for two days... then we're off to a small community. I'm sure it will be a pleasant experience, and I know many other PCV's and Americans live and work in these communities. I was only explaining part of our staging that I'm sure at some point during my service I will experience.

Unknown said...

Verina, We are SO proud of you for doing this!! We will be following your blog! Caryn, Ken, Jeff and Luke