Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Life After Yap





Well... I left Yap a little earlier than expected. Actually, it was a lot earlier than expected. Most of you who know me, knew it was coming. Ultimately I had to make an incredibly difficult decision, and the decision was that the best thing I could do for myself was to leave.

This really isn't the place to get into the gritty details of the decision, reasons, etc. but throughout this entire wonderful experience I knew that I had to do what was best for me and my own well being, despite wanting so very much to help others in a country as beautiful as Micronesia.

So, after many many hours and many flights I made it home where my friends and family welcomed me back with open arms to the life I once had. It's funny how quickly my views on the world begin to change after an experience like the Peace Corps. I learned, I laughed, I cried, and I experienced something amazing/terrifying/wonderful/weird/unique/and soo much more. I appreciate little things more, I find it easier to smile at the sunrise, and not frown when I can't have everything I wish I could.

Now, I'm back home.. with my man, my dog, my new students, my new house, and my new life... from the end of one journey starts the beginning of another journey. Let's hope it's a fabulous one!

Thanks to all of the people, friends, family, and strangers who supported me during my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer.. I'll always be grateful!

Much Love,
V

7 comments:

Amy Lou said...

Hi Verina,

I'm actually just a random visitor who stumbled across your blog sometime last year. I've since been following your adventures and have been delighted by your positivity, your energy, and your very clear, compelling writing style.

I was worried when I saw no update for a while there, and I'm glad to know that whatever happened, you've landed safely and happily back home.

No doubt your decision to leave the Peace Corps was, as you say, a big choice not taken lightly. I commend you for having the courage to make the choice that was most right for your life. Good for you.

Thanks for sharing a journey that I'd never be brave enough to embark upon in the first place! I wish you the best of luck in life and hope you'll keep up the good writing. Your insights are refreshing, whether they concern life on a tiny Micronesian island, or back here in the States.

Take care!
-A

Anonymous said...

I'm was also a follower of yours. I read all your blogs and fell in love with your spirit. You are an amazing writing and I'm so glad that you are safe. You gave so much of yourself -


Best of luck.
Travis Judd's mom.

Anonymous said...

I found your Peace Corps journal to be very interesting. I am sorry you had to leave early, but you know what is best. My son is also in the Peace Corps in Micronesia, so perhaps I have an idea of some of the struggles encountered. Take care, and I pray the best for you!

www.Gatto999.it said...

Great !...

Ciao from Italy
:)

Michael said...

Hi Verina,

This is Michael, the RPCV who used to walk home with you and Amber every day on Pohnpei. Sorry things did not work out for you on Yap. My island of service did not work out either. I got Interrupted Service after my Kosraean host dad pointed a pistol at me (long story-suffice it to say that Baptists are not popular on that island).

Take care, old friend.

Dreamer said...

I'm happy to have shared my experiences with you all! Thank you!

Unknown said...

Good Day Verina!

Sorry to bother you. My name is Ray Blakney and I am a RPCV from Mexico. I am working on a 3rd goal project with the PC regional offices and the main office in DC to try to create an online archive to keep the language training material made all over the world from getting lost. I have created a sub-section on the website my wife and I run - http://www.livelingua.com - with all the information I have been able to get to date (from over the web and sent to me directly by PC staff and PCV's). I currently have close to 100 languages with ebooks, audios and even some videos.

The next step for this project is that I am trying to get the world out about this resource so that it can not only be used by PCV's or those accepted into the Peace Corps, but also so that when people run across material that is not on the site they can send it to me and I can get it up for everybody to use. I was hoping that you could help getting the word out by putting a link on this on your site at:

http://micronesiandreaming.blogspot.com/

so that people know it is there. There should be something there for almost everybody. It is all 100% free to use and share. Here is the specific page of the Peace Corps Archive:

http://www.livelingua.com/peace-corps-language-courses.php

Thanks for any help you can provide in making this 3rd goal project a success. And if anybody in your group has some old material they can scan or already have in digital form, and want to add to the archive, please don't hesitate to pass them my email. Thanks and have a great day.



Ray Blakney
blakney.ray@gmail.com